Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 Genealogy Goals

Goals set, like resolutions made are filled with the best of intentions, but often neglected about March. In my case, the problem seems to be the amount of goals I set. It's time to be more realistic in my approach.

I have goals for genealogy, work, education, reading, my house and my health (why did I put health last?). If I were to set 3 to 4 goals in each area of my life, I would have an impressive list of goals, that will probably never be realized. I am going to set one goal in each area of my life with the hopes that a more manageable set of goals are also more attainable.

For 2011 my genealogy goal is to find out who my great-grandmother, Mary Evingham, actually was. I know her name and believe I have a photo of her. I know from the 1900 and 1910 census that she was born in Illinois and lived in Nebraska. I know from land records that she sold her property in Nebraska after she moved to New Jersey in 1919. The rest of "Mary" is a mystery. I need to know her husband's name and her maiden name. I also want to find her death date and burial location.

It is time for me to focus on county records in the areas I know she lived:
  • Livingston County Illinois
  • Buffalo County Nebraska
  • Essex County New Jersey
Finding information on one person that lived in three states (possibly more) is a challenging goal for one year. I am looking forward to learning the story of Mary and will post updates as I progress.

Do I feel lazy or unmotivated for setting only one genealogy goal for the entire year? Not in the least! I know that by being focused and consistent in my research direction, I will reap the rewards and achieve my goal!