Monday, November 29, 2010

Musings on a Munday

Earlier this fall I spent many hours at the Midwest Genealogy Center reviewing microfilm of church records from Kelpsau, Baden, Germany from the 1600's - 1800's.  Initially, I was printing the documents that I was interested in but soon realized that they were just not very readable.  I started taking photos, with my digital camera, of the images as they were displayed on the microfilm screen.  This method worked best when the lights in the room were very dim or off and the flash on my camera was turned off.

Once I downloaded the pictures from my camera, I was able to use my photo software to lighten, darken and sharpen as needed.  I took over 200 photos of images and almost all of them are readable.  One of the images I photographed is in this earlier blog post.