Thursday, February 18, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Challenge #7

I love this weeks challenge because I love Google maps! Street view is the best thing since peanut butter period! I use the street view option not just for genealogy research but also for any travel plans. When visiting an unfamiliar city, if I will be driving, street view actually shows the drive you will be taking. This has been an invaluable asset in my business as well as personal travel.

How helpful is Google maps for genealogy research? You can't beat it! If your ancestors lived across the country you can input their address and, if you are lucky, there is their house or business.

I was one of the lucky ones. I never met my paternal grandfather, my father had no contact with him after WWII. After finding his death certificate I was able to plug his address into Google maps and ta-da this is where my grandfather was living at the time of his death. My Dad's family is from New Jersey, I live in Kansas City, Google just erased all the miles in between!

No comments:

Post a Comment